Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval was interviewed by the Santa Cruz Sheriff’s department early Friday morning after a woman named him in a complaint regarding an alleged sexual assault.
According to the Sheriff’s department, Sandoval and the alleged victim were both at the Seascape Beach Resort in Aptos when an adult female contacted the Sheriff’s office at 4.25 a.m. Friday to report an assault.
The 25-year-old Sandoval, currently on the disabled list recovering from a broken hand, was questioned by deputies but not detained. Deputy Sheriff April Skalland told CSN Bay Area the investigation is ongoing and that no charges have been filed:
“He was interviewed with his lawyer present and he cooperated.”
According to the Sheriff’s department, Sandoval and the alleged victim were with a small group of people who left downtown Santa Cruz on Friday night for Seascape Beach Resort where the alleged assault took place.
After the victim made the complaint Friday morning, deputies met with her at a hospital where she submitted to a sexual assault forensic evidence kit. Deputies contacted Sandoval later at the resort and he agreed to be questioned. Sandoval’s attorney, Eric Geffon, said the sexual relations had been consensual.
Sandoval referred all questions to his attorney, telling The AP:
“I’m just concentrating on my game and getting back to the team right now.”
Last season’s first-time All Star went 1-for-4 in his first rehab game Saturday in Stockton after surgery for a broken bone in his left hand. Manager Bruce Bochy had said the slugger could return as soon as Friday.