Poison meatballs claim life of dachsund ‘Oskar’

The sinister meatball-maker who dropped deadly doggie snacks around Twin Peaks now has real-life blood on their hands.

Little “Oskar,” the San Francisco dachsund sickened after eating malicious meat treats on July 3, died Friday after weeks of expensive veterinary treatment. Oskar had been in a medically-induced coma before he died.

More than 50 of the strychnine-laced meatballs were recovered by authorities, who warned dog owners there could still be undiscovered threats, particularly in areas where the meatballs were already found.

San Francisco Department of Animal Care & Control Field Services Supervisor Le-Ellis Brown told SFBay only the Twin Peaks area has had confirmed poison meatball cases:

“There has been no confirmed reports of poisonings in the Diamond Heights or Glen Park area. The only confirmed reports where evidence or meatballs have been found has been in the Twin Peaks area.”

San Francisco Animal Care & Control spokeswoman Deb Campbell told KCBS that reports of poison meatballs in Dolores Park and Noe Valley were unsubstantiated rumors.

The poison in the meatballs could also potentially sicken humans. If you find a suspicious meatball, San Francisco police want you to call their anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444. Animal Control would also like to hear from you at (415) 554-9400.