Former San Francisco 49er Ray McDonald will be arraigned Thursday on charges in an alleged domestic violence incident involving a woman and baby in Santa Clara in May, according to the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office.
McDonald, 30, has been charged with felony false imprisonment, misdemeanor domestic violence, child endangerment and violating a court order, prosecutors said.
He is scheduled to be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. at the Hall of Justice in San Jose and faces up to three years in prison if convicted, according to prosecutors.
On May 25 around 4 a.m., Santa Clara police officers were called to a reported domestic disturbance at a home on Carlyle Court, prosecutors said.
An investigation showed McDonald allegedly broke into a bedroom and assaulted a woman who had been sleeping and holding his 2-month-old infant, according to prosecutors.
McDonald’s driver attempted to stop McDonald from assaulting the woman, who was able to flee, prosecutors said.
McDonald eventually left the scene but returned to the home while the woman spoke with officers, according to prosecutors.
His driver sped away from the home after seeing police cars at the residence, prosecutors said.
McDonald was found later that morning in the 2200 block of Terra Nova Lane in San Jose and was arrested, Santa Clara police said.
He posted $15,000 bail later that night and was released, Santa Clara County sheriff’s officials said.
Two days later, McDonald was arrested again for allegedly violating a restraining order, but posted bail later that night, according to prosecutors.
McDonald had been arrested Aug. 31, 2014, in an alleged domestic violence incident with his then-pregnant fiancée, but charges were not filed against him by the district attorney’s office because there wasn’t enough evidence against him, prosecutors said.
On Dec. 17, his home was searched as part of a San Jose police investigation into an alleged sexual assault, police said.
McDonald was a defensive end for the San Francisco 49ers from 2007 to 2014 but was released because of the alleged sexual assault.
He signed a one-year deal with the Chicago Bears in March but was released in late May because of the domestic violence allegation.