Freon leak clears Danville Costco
Firefighters mitigated a freon leak Friday morning that prompted the evacuation of a Danville Costco store, officials with the San Ramon Fire Protection District and town of Danville said.
A fire dispatcher said the first report of the leak at the store at 3150 Fostoria Way came in at 9:19 a.m. The leak prompted an evacuation of the store.
San Ramon Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Dan McNamara said the incident had to do with one of the generators in the store. Town of Danville officials said there was a freon leak.
Both town officials and McNamara said there was no threat to the surrounding community.
A website for the U.S. National Library of Medicine says “sniffing freon is extremely dangerous and can lead to long-term brain damage and sudden death.” But if a person survives past 72 hours a complete recovery is likely, the library’s website says.
Severe lung damage is also possible, the website says.
Firefighters left the store at about noon and turned the situation over to store officials, McNamara said. Store officials were not immediately available to comment.
No one went to the hospital, McNamara said. Town officials tweeted at about noon that the store will open at 1 p.m. at the earliest. McNamara said as of about 12:30 p.m. that the store was expected to reopen at about 2 p.m. Friday.