Exploding hoverboard blamed in house fire

A hoverboard caught fire while it was charging and exploded in a Petaluma home Monday evening, according to firefighters.

Firefighters responded to a structure fire on Bixby Court at 7 p.m. Monday to find the house filled with smoke.

The homeowner reportedly told them he’d heard an explosion downstairs and found his daughter’s hoverboard plugged in, actively burning and continuing to explode – propelling embers and parts of the hoverboard around a bedroom and into an adjacent hallway.

The fire was extinguished by the homeowner, but firefighters helped remove smoke from the building and a fire marshal investigated the incident.

Damages were estimated at $10,000 – but no injuries were reported.

The exact cause of the fire remains under investigation.

The hoverboard that caught fire was a “Mini Smart Self Balancing 2 wheel Electric Scooter with LED Light” equipped with a lithium-ion battery.

Leaking fluids, excessive heat, odor, sparks and smoke are all signs of malfunction. Hoverboard owners are urged to stop using the device and call 911 right away if any of these signs are observed.