Fireworks suspected in San Jose mall fire

Firefighters brought a one-alarm fire at a mall in San Jose under control Monday night, according to dispatchers.

The fire was first reported at 8:37 p.m. at 1111 Story Road. The Grand Century Shopping Mall is listed at that address.

The fire was briefly upgraded to a second alarm due to a large column of smoke that was visible as crews were en route, but arriving firefighters cancelled the second alarm after finding that the smoke was coming from a Cypress tree adjacent to the mall, according to Capt. Christopher Salcido.

The incident was brought under control at 8:59 p.m.

Crews remained on scene to ensure that the adjacent structure itself was not burning, but the building was made of solid brick, Salcido said.

No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, according to Salcido, but witnesses at the scene told firefighters that fireworks were seen in the area before the tree caught fire.

“We like to wish everyone a happy and safe lunar new year, with safety being the emphasis,” Salcido said. “Fireworks are incendiary devices that burn at more than 1,000 degrees.” Most people injured by fireworks are children, according to Salcido, and fireworks have been illegal within the City of San Jose since 1984.

Salcido urged revelers to enjoy fireworks only at safe, permitted events organized my pyrotechnic professionals.