8-year-old survives drive-by shooting

An 8-year-old boy is out of surgery and expected to survive the wounds he suffered in a drive-by shooting in North Concord Friday evening, according to police.

The child was struck by gunfire around 6 p.m. in the 2900 block of La Salle Avenue, Cpl. Christopher Blakely said:

“There were some children that he was playing with and also someone else present, it’s unknown if the shooter targeted the child or an adult.”

The Concord Police Department’s major crimes unit was on scene Friday¬†evening, interviewing family members to determine whether the shooting may have been random or targeted, according to Blakely.

The boy had been transported to a nearby park and was awaiting a helicopter to take him to Children’s Hospital in Oakland – but he was ultimately transported by ambulance instead.

Around 10:50 p.m. Blakely confirmed that the boy was listed in stable condition and expected to survive his injuries.

When asked about that development, he referred to it as “very good news.” A search is underway for the suspects, who were described as two white men in a silver Honda with cracked or peeling tint on some of the windows, according to Blakely.

“Right now this is one of our top priorities in the city,” he said.