Burn victim ignited gasoline with cigarette

A woman who unknowingly spilled gasoline on herself suffered serious burn injuries in Antioch this week after the fuel burst into flames when she went to light a cigarette, police officials said today.

The incident occurred after the victim, a woman in her 40s, had ran out of gas in her vehicle in the area of O Street around 5:15 p.m.

Monday, Antioch police acting Lt. Tarra Nissen said.

As the woman filled up a gas canister at a nearby gas station, she accidentally spilled some of the highly flammable fuel on her clothing, Nissen said.

Back at her vehicle, she lit a cigarette and the fuel ignited. She suffered burns and a companion with her, a woman in her 50s, was also burned while trying to help her put the flames out, Nissen said.

The burn wounds were severe enough on the woman’s chest, hands and face to require an airlift to a burn unit. Her companion had less severe burns and was transported in an ambulance, Nissen said.

An update on the condition of the women was not immediately available.

No one else suffered injuries in the incident.

“There doesn’t seem to be any criminal intent here – just an unfortunate accident,” Nissen said.