Three of Frisco 5 released from hospital


Three of five people who held a hunger strike to protest recent fatal police shootings in San Francisco have been released from University of California at San Francisco Hospital, according to a spokesman for the group.

The five, known as the Frisco 5, were hospitalized Friday after doctors monitoring their condition advised them against continuing with their hunger strike, which had gone on for 16 days outside of the Mission Police Station, located at 630 Valencia Street.

One hunger striker was released Sunday night and two were released this afternoon, while two others remain in the hospital, according to spokesman for the Frisco 5 Max LeYoung:

“We’re hoping the rest will be released tomorrow.”

The five have been identified as Maria Cristina Gutierrez, Ike Pinkston, Edwin Lindo, Equipto and Sellassie. LeYoung did not say which three of the five had been released from the hospital.

Today, about 100 people rallied outside of San Francisco City Hall beginning at 8 a.m. as part of a day of action in honor of the hunger strikers. By 5:30 p.m., the number of people outside City Hall had died down to about 40.

The Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place entrance was closed all day and the steps were blocked with metal barriers. Additionally, extra sheriff’s deputies and police officers stood guard at all four entrances of City Hall.

No protest has been planned for Tuesday, LeYoung said.

The Frisco 5 and the protesters are calling for the resignation of police Chief Greg Suhr, as well as Mayor Ed Lee, in response to recent fatal police shootings of black and Latino men in the city, including Alex Nieto, Mario Woods, Amilcar Perez Lopez and Luis Gongora.

Among the protesters were the parents of Alex Nieto, Elvira and Refugio Nieto. Alex Nieto was fatally shot by police in March 2014.

Lee last spoke with the Frisco 5 via phone on Thursday, but no resolution was reached and the mayor said he stood behind Suhr, according to organizers.

Today’s protest follows a larger gathering inside City Hall on Friday in which nearly 200 people refused to leave the building, even after closing hours.

That protest resulted in dozens of arrests, according to organizers.

Additionally, City Hall sustained broken windows and damaged metal detectors, city officials said.

SF State hunger striker hospitalized

Previous article

Comeback Warriors seal overtime win

Next article

You may also like


Comments are closed.

More in News