Sonoma Music Festival cancels October show

Some legendary rock bands have upstaged this year’s Sonoma Music Festival in October.

The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Who and Roger Waters are playing at Desert Trip at the Empire Polo Club in Indio on the weekends of Oct. 7 to Oct. 9 and Oct. 14 to Oct. 16.

In Sonoma, John Fogerty, the Steve Miller Band, Toby Keith, Dave Mason, Andy Vello and The Curly Wolf were booked for the Sonoma Music Festival’s Fall Music Festival Oct. 7 to Oct. 9 at the Field of Dreams in Sonoma.

The Sonoma Music Festival, however, announced today the Fall festival has been canceled because of “very low ticket sales.” It would have been the Festival’s 30th year and one of the best line-ups in its history, the Sonoma Music Festival said in today’s announcement.

The Sonoma Music Festival said in a statement:

“Unfortunately, with the addition of an enormous festival at Coachella the same weekend and the following weekend with the Rolling Stones et al, it is apparent that many of our long-time patrons chose to attend those events rather than our event.”

The cancellation put Sonoma Music Festival’s nonprofit at a large loss jeopardizing its charitable efforts, organizers said.

Spokesman Michael Coats said in an email he had no further comment about the cancellation.

Information about ticket refunds will be available starting Oct. 1 at

Ticket holders may redirect their purchase to the nonprofit Bruce Cohn Charity Events. Cohn is the manager of the Doobie Brothers who performed at the Sonoma Music Festival in October 2015.

Last year’s Sonoma Music Festival also included Ringo’s All-Star Band, Chicago and America.