A 47-year-old man detained Tuesday has been released as officers continue to search his Milpitas home Wednesday in their investigation into possible explosives, police said.
A search warrant was served at the man’s home in the 1700 block of View Drive around 8 a.m. Tuesday through a tip made nearly three weeks ago from his neighbor who complained about a strong chemical smell coming from the residence, Milpitas police Sgt. Bryan Hinkley said.
On Nov. 25, officers and firefighters responded to the home where they verified the powerful chemical scent and small plastic bottles filled with chemicals, Hinkley said.
The Santa Clara County sheriff’s bomb squad confirmed the substances in the bottles could make an explosive, according to Hinkley.
The man was found outside the home Tuesday morning and detained as officers conducted their search that led three homes to evacuate and 15 other residences to shelter in place, Hinkley said.
The 47-year-old man was released later that evening pending further investigation that could lead to charges, Hinkley said.
The man lived at the home with his mother, another woman and two children, according to Hinkley.
The search ended Tuesday with additional chemicals found inside the home that were sent to the county’s crime lab, according to Hinkley.
The home under investigation and two other neighboring homes were evacuated as officers resumed their search today, Hinkley said.
There was no threat to public safety or reported injuries during the search, Hinkley said.
Fremont police previously served another search warrant at a storage facility on Warm Springs Boulevard associated with the 47-year-old man, according to Hinkley.
Investigators don’t believe there are additional suspects associated with the case, Hinkley said.
Anyone with information on the case is asked to call police at (408) 586-2400. Those who wish to remain anonymous can send information by calling the department’s crime tip hotline at (408) 586-2500 or visiting http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/crimetip.