Unattended pot causes two-alarm kitchen fire

Firefighters have contained a two-alarm fire burning in an apartment building in unincorporated Ashland in Alameda County.

According to Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman Aisha Knowles, the fire broke out in the first-floor kitchen of a two-story unit inside a building located at 1691 164th St.

The fire was caused by an unattended pot on a stove, Knowles said.

Fire crews arriving from a firehouse nearby contained the fire to the unit of origin.

The residents, two adults and one child, exited the unit and did not suffer any injuries.

The unit was completely destroyed and is uninhabitable, Knowles said.

The Red Cross arrived to assist at least 13 building residents who have been displaced and no injuries were reported, said the spokeswoman.