Contractor did not notify 811 before causing Google gas leak

The contractor who accidentally pierced a 2-inch gas line in Mountain View Wednesday¬†morning, causing a gas leak at Google’s headquarters, did not call 811 before digging, according to PG&E officials.

Contractors are required by law to call 811 before digging to ensure that they don’t hit a gas line, PG&E spokeswoman Mayra Tostado said.

The contractor was using a backhoe to clear a blocked drain line when he accidentally pierced the gas line, causing a strong smell of gas in the area.

The break was reported at 9:53 a.m. at 1945 Charleston Road, a two-story office building on the Google campus.

Some 600 Google employees were evacuated from that building and also 1965 Charleston Road by firefighters and Google employee emergency response teams, Mountain View fire spokesman Lynn Brown said.

PG&E crews put a clamp on the line at 10:24 a.m., and fire officials gave the all-clear at 10:56 a.m.

Charleston Road and Landings Drive, which were initially closed, later reopened.