News

Pool chemicals caused hazmat incident in Benicia garage

0

Pool chemicals that mixed accidentally caused a hazardous materials incident in a Benicia garage Monday, a fire division chief said Wednesday.

A liquid acid and granular calcium mixed when one of the chemicals fell off a shelf in the garage at a residence at 509 Viewmont St., Benicia Fire Division Chief K.C. Smith said.

The mixture caused an odor and vapor, fire officials said.

The incident was reported around 11:30 a.m. Monday. Police closed Viewmont Street between East Fifth and Lindo streets, nearby residents sheltered in place and the residents of the home were evacuated.

A Solano County hazardous materials team responded and neutralized the mixture around 3 p.m. Viewmont Street reopened about 20 minutes later.

Lefty O’Doul’s holds ‘Irish Goodbye’

Previous article

Google evacuates employees after gas leak

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Comments are closed.

More in News