San Jose applies for state, federal flood relief
The city of San Jose started the process of applying for state and federal emergency relief funds Monday, estimating that last week’s Coyote Creek flood has caused $50 million in damage to private property and $23 million in public damage, including parks, park facilities and roads.
Assistant city manager Dave Sykes said at a news conference this afternoon that those numbers were determined through formulas and will likely increase as more thorough inspections are performed on the ground.
According to the damage assessment form submitted to Santa Clara County today, three homes sustained major damage and 952 homes and 95 businesses sustained minor damage. Over 2,700 homes and 28 businesses were listed as affected, but with no physical damage.
The city cited a $4.8 million loss for debris removal and disposal at 1,300 sites, $554,031 in losses for emergency protective measures at 50 sites, $3.7 million for damage to non-federal road and bridge systems, almost $6.1 million for damage to two public buildings, $100,000 in damage to public utilities at three sites and $7.8 million for damage to 12 parks.
About 90 percent of the public buildings and 20 percent of outdoor spaces are insured, according to city officials.
Over 850 yellow-tagged homes have been cleared since Sunday, bringing the number of homes that can be entered, but not inhabited until repairs are performed from 1,335 to 479.
Two sites in Brookwood Terrace are still red-tagged, meaning they are still too unsafe for residents to even enter to retrieve belongings, Sykes said.
About 1,000 volunteers helped with cleanup efforts over the weekend, Sykes said.
The Seven Trees Community Center is sheltering 120 flood victims now that classes are back in session at James Lick High School, where residents stayed last week and through the weekend.
The new shelter has better amenities than the high school, Sykes said. Schoolchildren staying at the shelter were provided with transportation to school today, as many families lost their cars to the flood.
Those whose cars have been towed can call the San Jose Police Department’s auto desk at (408) 277-4263.
Inundated cars that have not yet been towed will be tagged 72 hours before they are towed, Sykes said. Residents will not be charged for towing.
RV parking is allowed in affected areas.
The City Council is expected to declare a state of local emergency at its meeting on Tuesday, which allows the city to apply for aid.
The San Jose Flood Victims Relief Fund had raised $939,455 by this afternoon, including $10,000 each from Boston Properties, Comcast, Palo Alto Networks and the Santa Clara County Association of Realtors. SAP North America also committed $25,000 to the fund.
Airbnb is housing flood victims in temporary accommodations for free, Mayor Sam Liccardo said Monday morning.