Fire inspector flagged site of fatal blaze
Only three days before a fire at a West Oakland apartment building killed four people, an Oakland Fire Department inspector visited the site and found 11 safety problems, according to city records.
In a report after his visit to the building at 2551 San Pablo Ave. on Friday, Fire Inspector David Davis ordered that the building’s property manager, Monsa Nitoto, should immediately certify and service the building’s fire alarm and sprinkler systems.
Davis also said the building’s management should provide other basic fire safety equipment, such as fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, emergency lighting, exit signs and evacuation maps.
The inspector also found that extension cords were being used in place of electrical outlets throughout the building and ordered that they be removed.
In addition, Davis said mattresses on the Mead Avenue side of the building should be removed and furniture needed to be removed from an interior courtyard.
Davis added that the building management needed to obtain building permits for any construction within the interior courtyard and repair a large breach or hole in the ceiling of the corridor on the Mead Avenue side of the building.
Under the city of Oakland’s regulations, property owners have 30 days to correct violations and a follow-up inspection is then done to confirm compliance.
The apartment building also had a history of code violations, according to city records.
On March 2, Urojas Community Services, the building’s master tenant, asked city officials to inspect the building at 2551 San Pablo Ave., alleging that there was deferred maintenance. Oakland city officials verified the violation, according to city records.
On Feb. 23, a neighbor complained that there were large amounts of trash and debris, building materials and furniture on the back of the property.
The city verified the complaint and sent a notice of violation, according to city records.
On Dec. 29, there was a housing habitability complaint alleging that there was no working heat throughout the building, electrical issues and a large pest infestation.
The city is still investigating that complaint, according to records.
On Nov. 10, there was a complaint about possible insufficient garbage service at the property but city officials said no violation was found.
Residents at the scene of the fire on Monday said they didn’t hear any smoke or fire alarms go off during the blaze at the building, which was used as a transitional housing facility for homeless people, those getting out of prison and people with mental health issues.
Authorities have identified two of the four victims who died, 64-year-old Edwarn Anderson and 50-year-old Cassandra Robertson, who both lived at the building. They said four others were hospitalized after the fire but are expected to survive.
The building housed between 80 and 100 residents, according to Oakland fire officials.
The American Red Cross has opened a shelter at the West Oakland Youth Center, located at 3233 Market St., for the victims, providing shelter, food and emotional support.
The Salvation Army is also providing meals to the victims, as well as the first responders at the scene.