The first suspect in a mob of 40 to 60 young people who stormed a BART train to rob passengers on Saturday night was arrested Friday afternoon, BART officials said.
BART spokeswoman Alicia Trost said at 1:20 p.m. that the arrest had taken place within the last 30 minutes, but could not release further information, including where the arrest took place or whether the suspect lives in the Bay Area, because the suspect is a minor.
Other arrest warrants are “in the system” today and more will be obtained next week, Trost said.
Suspects hopped the fare gates at the Coliseum station around 9:30 p.m. before boarding a Dublin/Pleasanton-bound train and committing at least seven robberies, injuring at least two people, BART police said.
Police identified some of the suspects from video surveillance footage from inside the train car where the robberies were committed and have been working with other local law enforcement agencies to identify more suspects.
BART committed to keep cameras working on all train cars after an investigation of a fatal shooting on BART last year revealed that some cameras were decoys.
BART police have also increased presence around the area where the robberies occurred, according to agency officials.