Mission Street gas leak causes explosion
A gas leak that caused an explosion near the southern edge of Bernal Heights Monday morning was resolved and evacuated residents were allowed to return to the area, according to fire officials.
The gas leak was reported shortly before 10 a.m. when firefighters were called to the 3900 block of Mission Street near St. Mary’s Avenue to investigate a gas odor in the area, according to fire officials.
At 10:14 a.m., an explosion occurred in the lower floors of 3987 Mission St., a three-story residential building, causing moderate damage to the home and blowing out its front windows.
No one was inside the building and no injuries were reported.
Firefighters evacuated 19 addresses on Mission Street, College Terrace and Bosworth Street. An evacuation center was opened Monday afternoon at the YMCA’s Mission branch for those displaced.
PG&E workers arrived on scene around 10:30 a.m. and had stopped the flow of gas as of shortly after 1 p.m.
Fire officials said the leak appears to have been outside on the street in front of the building and it is unclear how the gas got inside.
The 14-Mission and 49-Van Ness/Mission buses were rerouted around the area during the incident, according to the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.