State issues shellfish toxin warning

The California Department of Public Health issued a warning Tuesday for paralytic shellfish poison found in shellfish caught in Sonoma County.

The warning will be active for several weeks and won’t be deactivated until the multiple tests are completed to make sure the toxins are gone, according to the agency.

Sonoma County Public Health has requested English and Spanish signs warning against paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) at the county’s regional parks.

The warning does not apply to commercially sold clams, mussels, scallops, or oysters from approved sources, the health department said.

Marin County Public Health confirmed one case of illness from paralytic shellfish poison on Tuesday.

The person began feeling symptoms of PSP after eating mussels harvested on Sunday in Dillon Beach. They are expected to recover.

Symptoms of poisoning could include tingling, numbness, dizziness, nausea, or respiratory problems.

Phytoplankton blooms in the ocean have brought about the toxins in the shellfish, according to a release from Sonoma County.

Changes in water conditions, including temperature, flow and salt content can cause toxins to surge.