Workshop shows writers the fast track
How to flirt without sleeping with anyone, finding a job that you love, 2-minute yoga and interior decorating were topics hot enough to spark a suite of new books at a joint book launch downtown last Wednesday.
Hosted by Alicia Dunams, the book launch party showcased ten authors who recently published their books through her publishing workshop. The authors and guests were able to share their process with the rest of the audience as well.
Dunams told SFBay:
“I created ‘Bestseller in a Weekend’ to bring people together in a like-minded community. I discovered that writing a book should be a collaborative effort versus being alone and trying to do it.”
Dunams’ program reveals a 5-step process that helps business owners transform their ideas into a book in two days or less at an extensive weekend seminar.
The 2-day seminar helps aspiring authors write, promote and publish their book, as well as identify a niche, develop content, and decide whether to pursue a traditional publisher or a literary agent. The authors are given strict deadlines after the seminar to make sure they have their book published by the annual book launch.
Dunams’ program empowered a group of business professionals to embrace their passion and create books they believe can change the way people live.
Zoe Sexton, author of “Flirtonomics: How to Capitalize on your Femininity and Charisma without Sleeping with Anyone,” explained her book to SFBay:
“Economic, social and cultural capital are the different ways to access your personal asset portfolio. Flirting is a concept of energetic engagement and it creates access to economical energy that’s positive and can be used to move these other forms of capital in the world.”
Carrie Chavez Hansen, author of “The Final Nesting Place: Creating a Meaningful and Personal Space for Your Loved One to Live Their End of Life” explained to SFBay the role Dunams’ workshop played in her writing process:
“When I showed Alicia my outline she suggested that I focus on a more specific topic. I know it’s a topic that’s not touched on a lot, but I believe people really need this book. She was a great help throughout this process.”
Other books launched include:
Inside Job: 8 Secrets to Loving Your Work and Thriving, By Julie Gleeson and Sherry Platt Berman. A Career Counselor and Wisdom Consultant worked together to help people who were looking for a job rather than to fit yourself into a job description that you actually learn what you came into this world designed for and that you find work from that point of view.
Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out, By Marci Shimoff. The simple act of putting your hand over your hear releases a chemical called oxytocin. This simple step of putting your heart and imagining that you’re breathing in love, ease and compassion.
- Fresh Ideas for Parenting Your Entitled Child — At Any Age by Peggy Harper Lee
- Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction & Get Slimmer, Sexier & Sweeter by Connie Bennett
- The Final Nesting Place: Creating a Meaningful and Personal Space for Your Loved One to Live Their End of Life by Carrie Chavez Hansen
- The Happiness Handbook: A User’s Manual for Living Your Extraordinary Life by Jenn Flaa
- The 2 Minute Yoga Solution: FAST and EASY and Back Pain Relief for ANYONE at ANYTIME by Nicole DeAvilla
- 138,336 Feet to Pure Bliss: What I Learned About Life, Women (and Running) in My 1st 100 Marathons by Dane Rauschenberg
- The Housing Project: Decorating a Home That Tells Your Personal Story and Reflects the Real You by Melissa Steach