Ray McDonald case moves to district attorney

The Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office has received from San Jose police the case on the Aug. 31 arrest of San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Ray McDonald on suspicion of domestic violence, prosecutors announced Thursday.

The district attorney’s office made the announcement on Twitter Thursday afternoon:

Sean Webby, a spokesman for the office, said there would be no further comment on the case beyond the Twitter message.

49ers spokesman Bob Lange said that the team was still waiting for prosecutors to make a decision on whether or not to charge McDonald.

McDonald, 29, was arrested early in the morning of Aug. 31 on suspicion of domestic violence against his pregnant fiancée during a party at his home in San Jose, booked into the county jail and released the same day.

The 49ers have decided to allow McDonald to continue to play for the team in its four regular season games since Sept. 7 as prosecutors weigh filing any charges in the case.

Last Friday, the district attorney’s office sent a tweet stating the investigation into the McDonald matter was ongoing, a hearing scheduled for Monday had been cancelled and that no new court date would be set “unless or until charges are filed.”

San Jose police also investigated a separate incident at McDonald’s home on May 25, when officers were dispatched at 8:09 p.m. about an engaged couple having an argument when, according to a police report:

“… the female subject became upset, grabbed a firearm (handgun) registered to the male subject and held it to her side. … When the male subject informed the female subject that he was going to call 911, the female subject put the firearm away and fled without incident.”

The report added:

“The female subject did not make any threats or point the firearm at the male subject.”

No arrest was made and officers reported that the gun was registered to the male subject involved, according to the report.