Firefighters doused an apparent grease fire at the Joy Luck restaurant in Oakland’s Chinatown neighborhood this afternoon, a fire official said.
Battalion Chief Melinda Drayton said fire crews arrived at 327 8th St. at 4:19 p.m. and found heavy smoke coming from a flue on the roof.
Drayton said firefighters searched the roof and the interior of the restaurant and determined the fire started in the kitchen. She said the fire was most likely caused by a grease build-up.
Firefighters had the fire under control within 20 minutes, Drayton said. There were no injuries to firefighters, patrons or employees at the restaurant.
Drayton said the health department responded to determine when the restaurant could reopen.
The restaurant sustained smoke and water damage, but Drayton said there is no monetary estimate for the damages at this time.
A woman named Michelle, who declined to give her last name but identified herself as the owner of the restaurant, said the eatery would be closed for roughly five to seven days:
“Luckily no one was hurt.”
She said the restaurant has been open for four years.