More than a dozen Muni lines will see an increase in service starting the weekend of April 23 as part of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency’s effort to improve transit service throughout The City.
The service increases are part of the transit agency’s current 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 budget, which included a 10 percent increase in Muni service. Since 2015, the transit has increased and expanded service on several of its routes and will do so again next weekend on 17 routes, said SFMTA spokesman Paul Rose:
“Citywide, Muni riders will see 17 lines with more frequent service, 10 lines with expanded service hours, two lines that make new connections to BART and two new Owl routes launched.”
The transit agency will make it’s last and fourth round of Muni service increases this month that will include Monday through Friday service on the 28R-19th Avenue from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The route as it currently is only runs in the morning and late afternoon when nearby schools let out students. During midday hours, the transit agency will increase the frequency from 12 minutes to every 10 minutes.
There will also be a route alignment change, where the 28R will now terminate at California and Sixth Avenue. The transit agency said this the change would give Inner Richmond residents a direct connection to the Balboa Park BART Station, which the 28R will now serve. The route will no longer stop at the Daly City BART station, but local 28 service will continue to serve the station. Service into the Marina will discontinue.
Two new Owl routes will launch on the 44-O’Shaughnessy and 48-Quintara/24th Street routes. The Owl service on the 44 will cover the Hunter’s Point, Bayview, Silver Terrace and Glen Park neighborhoods and run every 30 minutes. The 48 Owl service will cover the Dogpatch, Potrero and Mission neighborhoods. It will also run every 30 minutes.
The transit agency is also improving late-night frequency on the 6-Parnassus and 7-Haight/Noriega routes from running every 30 minutes to 20 minutes. The lack of transit options has been a common complaint from transit riders who work late at night.
Train service on the Muni Metro will start arriving every 10 minutes on Saturday and every 12 minutes on Sunday.
Muni’s E-Embarcadero, which launched last year only as a weekend service, will now have weekday service from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The changes the transit agency has been making is part of the Muni Forward program, the SFMTA’s comprehensive plan to overhaul the entire Muni system. The changes put the forth by the transit agency have been the most significant changes in decades, said Rose:
“This systematic approach to Muni service will continue to help people get around safer, more reliably and faster.”
- All Metro Lines: Trains running every 10 minutes Saturdays and every 12 minutes on Sundays.
- 1-California: Increasing frequency from seven minutes to six minutes.
- 2-Clement and 3-Jackson: Increasing frequency on Sutter Street to every five minutes.
- 6-Haight/Parnassus: Increasing late-night frequency from 30 minutes to 20 minutes.
- 7-Haight/Noriega: Increasing late-night frequency from 30 minutes to 20 minutes.
- 10-Townsend: Increasing all day frequency from 20 minutes to 15 minutes.
- 12-Folsom: Increasing all day frequency service from every 20 minutes to 15 minutes.
- 25-Treasure Island: Increasing night service frequency from every 45 minutes to 30 minutes.
- 28-19th Avenue: Increasing mid-day frequency from every 12 minutes toe every 10 minutes.
- 28R-19th Avenue: Service running every 10 minutes.
- 31-Balboa: Increasing PM commute frequency from every 12 minutes to 10 minutes.
- 35-Eureka: Increasing AM commute frequency from every 30 minutes to every 25 minutes and every 15 minutes in the evening commute.
- 37-Corbett: Increasing evening commute from every 20 minutes to 15 minutes.
- 47-Van Ness: Increasing commute frequency from 10 minutes to 7-1/2 minutes.
More Service Hours
- 28R-19th Avenue: Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Richmond District Express Buses (1AX, 1BX, 31AX, 31BX): Extended to 7 p.m.
- 30X-Marina: Service extended to 7 p.m. and start of 60-foot bus service.
- 57-Parkmerced: Service begins at 5 a.m. on weekdays.
- E-Embarcadero: New weekday service from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
New Route Alignments
- 2-Clement: Electric short line service to California and Presidio
- 14R-Mission: Extended to Daly City BART station
- 18-46th Avenue:Outbound route turning from Sloat Boulevard onto Skyline
- 35 Eureka: Extended to Glen park BART Station