Muni changes include F-Market reductions
San Francisco Muni riders should take note of changes to several Muni routes that will take effect on Feb. 25.
Transit officials will reduce frequency on several Muni lines, including the F-Market/Wharves line during the morning and afternoon.
Erica Kato, deputy spokesperson for the SFMTA, said of the reduction of the F service:
“In recent months we have experienced terminal crowding and unreliability on the F line. We are implementing a slight reduction in service in the morning and afternoon to address these issues.”
The transit agency hopes to see a reduction in service gaps and disruptions from the change, said Kato.
Other changes include the removal of eight transit stops along Taraval Street that is part of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency’s L-Taraval Rapid Project. The SFMTA’s Board of Directors approved the project last September.
The eight stops that the transit agency will remove include both inbound and outbound stops on Taraval Street at 28th Avenue and Ulloa Street at 15th Avenue.
Other stops include the inbound stop on Taraval Street at 24th Avenue and the outbound stops at 17th, 22nd and 35th avenues. Officials had also planned to remove the 17th Avenue inbound stop as well, but received feedback from Muni riders to retain the stop because the stop was across the street from Safeway.
Kato said the transit agency will retain the 17th Avenue inbound stop for six months so that staff can study the “ridership patterns.” After the six-month evaluation, the SFMTA Board of Directors will decide sometime in the fall whether to keep the stop.
Muni riders who take the local 5-Fulton will see bigger buses on the route. The SFMTA will add 60-foot buses to the local service, which is already on the 5-Fulton rapid route since last year.
The 28R-19th Avenue route will get a new stop on Noriega Street. The last stop on the 28R will now change to the Balboa Park Station.
Frequency increases will occur on the 8AX- Bayshore A Express in both the morning and evening peak times, 25-Treasure Island during the evening commute time and on the 29-Sunset during the morning commute, according to the SFMTA.
Other Muni will lines that will see a reduction in frequency include the 7X-Noriega Express in the peak morning commute, 8BX-Bayshore B Express in the peak evening commute, 14X-Mission Express in the peak morning commute and on the 82X-Levi Plaza Express during in the peak evening commute.
Moving and Removal of Bus Stops
- 5-Fulton/5R-Fulton Rapid: Relocating the inbound Masonic stop from the near side to the far side of the intersection.
- 5-Fulton Owl and 7X-Noriega Express: Discontinuing the stops at Golden Gate/Hyde & Golden Gate/Jones and moving the existing 5 Owl stop at Golden Gate/Leavenworth to the far side of the intersection for use by the 5 Owl and 7X.
- 10-Townsend: Discontinuing the inbound and outbound 2nd/Folsom stop.
- 12-Folsom/Pacific: Discontinuing the outbound 2nd/Folsom stop.
- 27-Bryant: Discontinuing the outbound stop at Division/Alameda, and establishing a new outbound stop at Bryant/Division.
- 48-24th-Quintara: Moving the Quintara/43rd stop from the far side of the intersection to the near side.