EnvironmentNewsNorth Bay

Cigarette burning in trash can starts Santa Rosa house fire

0

A cigarette discarded in a trash can is suspected of causing a house fire in southwest Santa Rosa late Sunday night, a battalion chief said. Firefighters found the fire at 1843 Bancroft Drive burning under a covered side yard and into the attic over a garage and living area of the home when they arrived around 11:50 p.m., Fire Battalion Chief Matt Dahl said.

Neighbors woke up a woman who lived in the home, Dahl said. Crews controlled the fire in about 20 minutes but the interior of the home sustained smoke damage. Firefighters cut holes in the roof for fire and smoke to escape and removed sheetrock from the walls and ceiling to access any remaining fire, Dahl said. Structural damage is estimated to be around $150,000.

A burning cigarette in a trash can against the side of the house started the fire, Dahl said.

Alameda police investigate suspicious device, close Hibbard Street

Previous article

Man dies from gunshot wound in East Oakland

Next article

You may also like

More in Environment